[python-committers] 3.0 branch is unfrozen

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 7 20:06:25 CET 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> The release is done, so the branch is thawed.  Now to make the
>>> announcement...
>>>
>>> -Barry
>>>
>> Barry:
>
>> Please do what you can to persuade people *not* to use this as a
>> production release. Early signs are there may be a substantial "I'm
>> going to download the latest version available" contingent.
>
> This is just a release candidate, but you have a good point.  We should
> think about what we really want to say in the final announcement.  If
> you're good at writing these things (and I clearly suck at it :), let me
> know and we'll try to coordinate.

Yeah, mate, I'm fricking brilliant. Modest, too. Let me know when you
need it and I'll try and have it *On Your Desktop* no later than a year
after that (geddit?)

Seriously, try this (possibly beginning with "READERS SHOULD NOTE"):

"""
Readers should note that while every care has been taken in the
production of the Python 3.0 release, this release has significant
backwards with the 2.X series. These incompatibilities have been
introduced by design, with the goal of improving the language in the
long term.

Furthermore it is likely that there will be a considerable delay before
some authors of Python packages and extension modules start to provide
3.0-compatible releases. Particularly for extension module authors there
are significant hurdles to be overcome.

For these reasons you are NOT recommended to rely on Python 3.0 as your
main production Python implementation. Though the release team feels
that the system is of a quality comparable with the recently-released
Python 2.6, the latter system is currently the recommended version for
production use.
"""

Followed by some blether about who to contact or what to do about
migration issues. Up to you. Please feel free to run this by anyone else
you choose, run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes, etc., etc.

And now back to my scheduled class ... good luck with the final release.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119