[python-committers] 3.0rc2 schedule

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Oct 2 19:08:25 CEST 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> If you don't make a habit of borking your own filesystems with dodgy
> filenames, it runs fine.

I really hope the individuals making this argument are being
facetious.  I don't think this is the source of the problem at all.

The expect the most common occurrence of the problem comes from
sharing of drives between operating systems and individual
configurations; those ubiquitous little USB "thumb" drives get shared
between all kinds of computers these days as people share files they
don't want to or can't pass over a network for whatever reason.
(Those drives might actually serve other purposes first, such as being
music players, and so may have no other interfaces for transferring

If someone hands me a USB flash drive with filenames encoded in
whatever is reasonable for them, I should be able to use Python tools
on the files without having to use non-Python tools to copy or rename
the file first.  The possibility of a conflicting encoding is
increased if the source machine is configured to use a very different
encoding, clearly, but that's not that unusual.

The world is smaller than it used to be, and we really need to
understand that.

Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>