[python-committers] json decoder speedups, any time left for 2.6?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Sep 24 06:56:47 CEST 2008

I'm out of town this week for a conference (ICFP/CUFP in Victoria) and
my hotel's connection has been bad enough such that I can't get any
Real Work done so I've managed to hammer on the json library's
decoding quite a bit instead. I just released simplejson 1.9.3 which
improves decoding performance by about 2x and I've got some more
changes along the way in trunk for 1.9.4 that will increase it even
further (over 3x my original 1.9.2 benchmark perf). How much time do I
have left to get this into Python 2.6?

FWIW the changes are all on the Python side, no C code has been harmed
(yet). The test suite still passes of course. Added bonus is that
simplejson trunk only uses the public and documented re interface, no
more sre scanner stuff.

-bob

(I had originally sent this to python-dev out of habit without CCing
here, and it appears I'm not currently subscribed there so it's in the
moderation queue. Sorry about that!)