[python-committers] Data corruption issue (C IO library)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Aug 7 19:20:31 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 06 août 2009 à 23:32 -0700, Raymond Hettinger a écrit :
> > I just meant to +1 the "we need to make a new micro-release right now"
> > paragraph. Logistically, I think it needs to be a full binary release
> > but it could be identical to 3.1 except for the one patch.
>
> Looking at Misc/NEWS, there are a number of worthy bugfixes already in.

Indeed, a couple of which could be considered serious:

- Issue #6573: set.union() stopped processing inputs if an instance of self
  occurred in the argument chain.

- Issue #6415: Fixed warnings.warn segfault on bad formatted string.

- Issue #6344: Fixed a crash of mmap.read() when passed a negative argument.

As a sidenote: I'm a relatively young core developer here, are there any
precedents of such critical bugs? How has the situation been handled
then?

Regards

Antoine.