[python-committers] Anyone having issues with svnmerge.py and 2.6 (possibly OS X problem)?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 13 23:15:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 14:03, Jerry Seutter <jseutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to backport something to 2.6 and I am getting the following
>> error from svnmerge.py:
>> > svnmerge.py merge -r74429t
>> property 'svnmerge-integrated' deleted from '.'.
>>
>> property 'svnmerge-blocked' deleted from '.'.
>>
>> --- Merging r74429 into '.':
>> C    Misc/NEWS
>> U    Misc/ACKS
>> U    Lib/test/test_pyexpat.py
>> U    Modules/expat/xmltok_impl.c
>> Summary of conflicts:
>>   Text conflicts: 1
>>
>> property 'svnmerge-integrated' set on '.'
>>
>> property 'svnmerge-blocked' set on '.'
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 2361, in
>> <module>
>>     main(sys.argv[1:])
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 2356, in
>> main
>>     cmd(branch_dir, branch_props)
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 1810, in
>> __call__
>>     return self.func(*args, **kwargs)
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 1560, in
>> action_merge
>>     print >>f, construct_merged_log_message(opts["source-url"], revs),
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 1136, in
>> construct_merged_log_message
>>     message = get_commit_log(url, r)
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 1122, in
>> get_commit_log
>>     return recode_stdout_to_file("".join(out[1:]))
>>    File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/svnmerge/svnmerge.py", line 229, in
>> recode_stdout_to_file
>>     return u.encode(locale.getdefaultlocale()[1])
>>   File "/Users/brett/.slash/python/lib/python2.6/encodings/mac_roman.py",
>> line 12, in encode
>>     return codecs.charmap_encode(input,errors,encoding_table)
>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character u'\u0107' in
>> position 191: character maps to <undefined>
>>

>> Anyone else running into this? I tried backing up svnmerge.py to r36767
>> (sometime in March; random choice) and I am still having the problem.
>>
>> -Brett
>>

> There's an accented c (ć, unicode 0x0107) in a log message.

Yeah, Ivan's last name.

>   It looks like svn log is outputting the character and python can't handle
> it.  Wierd, since svn log is supposed to convert its output to the local
> encoding, just like svnmerge is trying to do.
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2002-09/0522.shtml
>
> Someone isn't using the right encoding, or else svn log has a bug.  I might
> just be restating the obvious.

Huh. Probably Vim putting it into some encoding like UTF-8 or Latin-1 and
svn not caring until later. Guess that means I will never be able to
merge/block this checkin as svnmerge will always grab that log message. So
if someone else can do the block for me that would be nice (or not worry
about it since we seem to never do blind merges anymore).

-Brett