[python-committers] I've got a surprise for you!

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:07:34 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Trent Nelson
<python-committers-list at trentnelson.com> wrote:
> .
> .
>
>    Ten months, seven trips to MSU, six blown fuses and about $60,000
>    later, I'm proud to introduce you all to Snakebite: The Open Network!
>    A network of around 37-ish servers of all different shapes and sizes,
>    spread over three sites, specifically geared towards the needs of
>    open source projects like Python.
>
>    Every CPython, Jython, IronPython and PyPy committer will have access
>    to every development server on the network.  I've also extended the
>    offer to prominent Python projects like Django and Twisted.
>
>    Eventually, I'll invite other open source projects to participate
>    (Apache, Subversion, MySQL, Postgres, etc), but the network is my
>    gift to All Things Python, first and foremost, so Python projects
>    will always get preferential treatment.
>
>    Support for the initiative so far has been nothing short of sublime.
>
>    Microsoft jumped on board and provided unlimited MSDN licenses in
>    less time than it took me to write them an e-mail asking for stuff.
>
>    I sent HP an e-mail asking if they could spare a Tru64 license, and
>    maybe 2GB of RAM for an extremely crappy Itanium box I bought off
>    eBay.  They saw my Tru64 license request and raised with media and
>    licenses to the latest version of HP-UX.
>
>    Unfortunately, it was too much trouble for them to try and source
>    2GB of RAM for the Itanium I bought.  So, instead, they shipped two
>    massive quad Itanium 2 RX-5670s, chock full of 73GB 15k disks and
>    no less than 78GB of RAM between the two servers; 32GB in one and
>    46GB in the other.  Well then.
>
>    (I'd hate to think what would have turned up had I asked them for
>    two quad Itanium monsters.)
>
>    Sun, Google and Canonical have also expressed a lot of interest in
>    the project -- I stopped asking for hardware a while back though as
>    we've literally run out of space to host it all.
>
>    The website is live, but the content is a bit sparse at the moment,
>    excluding the poorly worded front page and the reasonably accurate
>    network page:
>        http://www.snakebite.org
>        http://www.snakebite.org/network
>
>    It'll probably be a few weeks before you can start logging in and
>    doing stuff.  The HPCC/CSE server room at MSU is about to have walls
>    knocked in and ramps built in order to accommodate a giant PDU that
>    has been sitting outside it for about six months; the Snakebite rack
>    is going to get shuffled around a bit so I figure there's not much
>    point going live before that's taken care of.
>
>    Other than that, I'm just happy to get this off my chest, ten months
>    is a freakin' long time to try and keep something like this a secret
>    ;-)
>
> .
> .

Very very nice Trent :)

I remember when you raised the idea last year and it seemed awesome,
but it turned out to be better than awesome! It is just incredible how
people like you are able to donate so much time and effort to open
source projects.

Looks like the season for snake mites, six-spotted tiger beetle, and
what not, is now open.

Regards,

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves