[python-committers] I've got a surprise for you!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 17:20:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Alexandre Vassalotti
<alexandre at peadrop.com> wrote:
> [SNIP: Trent announces his awesome secret project]
>
> There is only one word I can say: wow! And to everyone who was
> involved, thank you!
>
> This massive buildbot network is really going to help us toward making
> Python a top-class platform in term of portability. I am sure that
> having SSH access to the buildbots will encourage everyone to fix bugs
> quickly.
>
> Finally, I have one question. Will these buildbots be open for general
> development work? It would be great to have access to them for
> creating new cross-platform libraries for Python.

Yep, I for example would love to use this resource to ensure that gmpy
builds and runs well on more platforms than the usual
mac/windows/linux set I have easy personal access to, and I suspect
most other maintainers of third party Python add-ons feel similarly.
I'm sure the line must be drawn somewhere, however, as there will
never be enough computing resources in the "buildbot cloud" to support
the thousands of Python add-ons that are not part of the Python
distribution itself.  A criterion such as "only 3rd party add ons
whose maintainers are also Python committers" (even though it would
favor gmpy) might be a tad arbitrary.

Alex