[python-committers] Python 2.6.4?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 4 21:42:29 CEST 2009

>>> Yes, but what I experienced is much worse - I was actually getting the
>>> 2.6.2 version of python26.dll due to shadowing, instead of the 2.6.3
>>> version.
>> Ah. Did you get a message "[TARGETDIR] exists. Are you sure you want to
>> overwrite existing files?"
>
> I may well have, but that wouldn't surprise me when doing an upgrade in
> place.

Ok, so I need to make the message more clear that this is an error, and
that most likely you do not want to proceed. If this was an upgrade
in place, the message would have read "This update will replace your
existing [ProductLine] installation."

> The real problem, it seems, is there was a spurious python26.dll in
> c:\Python26, which shadowed the one in c:\Windows.

Not spurious. Most likely, your previous installation was "just for me";
in this case, it cannot install into system32.

If you then do a "for all users" installation into the same location,
you get the behavior that you observed: python26.dll gets installed to
system32, and you end up with two copies of the DLL.

Regards,
Martin