[python-committers] updating libffi to 3.0.9?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 24 16:35:35 CET 2010

On Wednesday, February 24, 2010, at 08:20AM, "Thomas Heller" <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
>Matthias Klose schrieb:
>> I would like to update the internal copy of libffi from the 3.0.5 release to
>> 3.0.9 (plus an ARM specific patch checked in after the 3.0.9 release).  Is this
>> ok for the trunk and the py3kbranch?  I only can check linux targets and watch
>> the buildds, so I would like to ask for tests on other targets.
>
>Obviously I don't do a good job maintaining the 'Python libffi fork', so
>I have nothing against you or other people doing my work ;-).
>
>On the other hand:
>Things have changed since the first inclusion of ctypes into the Python
>distribution.  There were no 'official' libffi releases at that time;
>now there are regular releases.  Should the Python distribution be changed
>to use the system libffi by default - the '--with-system-ffi' configure option?
>Is a system libffi library available on OS X?  On other systems?
>The windows fork must probably stay...

OSX has a system libffi on OSX 10.5 or later. The binary installers cannot use that because libffi is not present on 10.4, and I'm also not 100% sure that libffi on 10.5 is fully binary compatible with that on 10.6.

>> The libffi subdirectories for testsuite, doc and man are currently not checked
>> in. Should these be kept out, or should the complete libffi release be checked in?
>
>Depends on the answer to your first question, of course.  The libffi testsuite requires
>dejagnus.  I know there once was a Python script, written by Ronald Ossouren, which
>was able to execute the tests.

I have a testrunner in pyobjc that is able to run the libffi tests without dejagnu. I'm willing to contribute that to python.

Ronald