[python-committers] Delaying 3.2 release

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jun 28 15:02:49 CEST 2010

On Jun 27, 2010, at 01:58 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> I'm delaying the 3.2 alpha1 release by one week; I don't have enough time
>>> to sort through all the possible issues and get acquainted with the release
>>> machinery this weekend.
>> Should we perhaps delay the entire schedule by one month? A number of
>> things that people want for 3.2 haven't happened yet. Not sure whether
>> a month would help, of course. However, I wouldn't want to migrate to
>> Mercurial between beta releases, for example. The release process
>> probably needs several rounds to adjust to Mercurial, and we aren't even
>> close to switching.
>Unless some long-term release of some major OS or distro is about to
>come out and was hoping to include 3.2 (and I don't think any are), I
>see no harm in postponing. I know I won't mind as I have some
>additions/deprecations in importlib that are landing in 3.2.

As it currently stands the next version of Ubuntu, due out in October, will
not include Python 3.2.  The version after that is due in April, but will be
open soon after the October release.  Generally, I think it's a good idea to
get major new toolchain packages in as early in the cycle as possible, and I'd
like to get us on Python 3.2, if we're talking a 3.2b1 by mid October (instead
of mid-Sept), with a final release in January, we should be fine I think.


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/attachments/20100628/937bd5b5/attachment.pgp>

More information about the python-committers mailing list