[python-committers] branches and merging

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Mar 3 04:34:41 CET 2010

On 3/03/2010 2:11 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> That was also my sentiment. These issues seem to be overestimated, or
> perceived as a lack of care for the Windows platform.
>
> This perception is wrong, I do care as much as others about the Windows
> platform.

That is not my perception.  My perception is that non-windows users are
underestimating the practical issues involved in having non-native line
endings.  This is why I think it would be useful for *everyone*
commenting here to actually try working with a non-native repo on their
platform doing "real" work (eg, applying patches, mailing diffs, etc)

> It's just that having to manually run a script from time to
> time if your editor screws up is not a big deal. I have to do it
> myself, when SVN refuses my commit and tells me to run
> Tools/reindent.py.

Agreed - SVN users also have the same issue when a mixed EOL checkin is
attempted.

The difference with HG is that the error will not happen at commit time,
but rather at *push* time - after the local repo is already in a bad
state.  We could suggest all Windows users configure HG to run the same
hooks locally, but I believe that will quickly become a burden.

To use your analogy: it would be similar to SVN issuing that message
*after* accepting the checkin and forcing you to either re-commit a fix,
or somehow revert the state of the repo to before the checkin, then
re-doing it.

Cheers,

Mark