[python-committers] Deny nonbreaking spaces in the precommit script?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Nov 7 19:25:22 CET 2010

Hm, tricky, the stdlib is already supposed to be ASCII only except for
author names in comments and a few specific encoding test cases. But
since your non-breaking space was in a comment you'd have to add
another exception to whatever checker exists.

How about fixing your personal tool chain so it displays non-breaking
spaces in an obviously different way?

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I introduced nonbreaking spaces in Lib/os.py in a comment, because I kept Alt
> Gr. key pressed to write the space after # (stupid Xorg keyboard variant!).
>
> This change introduces a strange bug in "LANG=C ./python -m test.regrtest -v
> test_imp test_trace" command.
>
> The real bug was fixed in issue #10329, but I would like to know if it would be
> possible to block a commit introducing nonbreaking spaces? A least for me :-)
>
> Victor

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)