[python-committers] Deny nonbreaking spaces in the precommit script?

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Mon Nov 8 15:30:14 CET 2010

Am 08.11.2010 15:04, schrieb Benjamin Peterson:
> I don't think you can ever automate "checking for mistakes" out of the
> workflow. There will never be a commit hook that checks whether you
> created a race condition or deference possibly uninitialized memory.

That goes without saying. Then again, with my post I was aiming at the
subset of problems that can be caught automatically. You seem to be
saying that spell checkers are useless because they don't guarantee that
sentences make actual sense.

> IMO, if you're unwilling to be looking for simple and complex bugs,
> you should think twice before committing at all.

Ouch. I am unwilling to accuse anybody of unwillingness ;-) It's obvious
that every committer is obliged to do her best to ensure quality of each
and every commit. This doesn't mean automated checks are unnecessary.
Nor does that mean people advocating for more safety catches look for
ways for being sloppy.

Then again this discussion is already far too long for such a simple
matter. So, to make matters a bit more productive:

I am willing to convert existing SVN hooks to Mercurial and maintain
them, if there's nobody doing that already.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa