[python-committers] Need help with read-write checkouts (Win/TortoiseSVN)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Nov 8 19:47:09 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 21:47, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Wanting to finish up the difflib issue (#2986) with my first commits, I read
> http://www.python.org/dev/faq/
> (especially 2.2.2 and 2.3), loaded TortoiseSVN, and successfully did a
> read-only checkout. But when I try to do the needed read-write checkout, I
> get a blank plink screen and ... nothing. I tried both with 'pythondev@' and
> Pageant running and without both after creating a  svn.python.org  profile.
> And ideas what to do next? Is there some step missing from the faq?
>
> In attempting to verify that my commit privileges are working (2.8.2), I
> noticed that in order to log in with putty, or 'register' the private key
> with pageant, I need a 'passphrase'. If I gave one when generating the key,
> I have no memory of it and cannot find such written down after extensive
> search.

There is such a step. SSH keys are protected using a password and
needed to decrypt the key, so if you lost the password then you have
lost your key.

> So if either of the above is the unmentioned missing step, I will
> need for someone to replace my current public key after I generate a new
> pair. Who is currently available to do so?

Just reply to your email with your new public key attached. There are
a couple of us that can replace your old key.

> For once, I would like copies of helpful responses sent directly to me. I am
> signed up for the digest version of this list and cannot login to change
> that. Mailman will not (at the moment, at least) accept the password that it
> generated for me and that it sends in the monthly reminders.

You can always email the list owners, but since I am one of them I
went ahead and manually turned off digest delivery for you, Terry.