[python-committers] Pulling from contributors repositories

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 15:03:05 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Until mercurial has better tools to bundle multiple changesets into a
>> single coherent group of changes, it's still preferable to do the
>> export/import dance.
>
> Why did we migrate to Mercurial, then?

The merge tools are still better and keeping out-of-tree branches up
to date is significantly easier. The fact that bringing external
changes *in* to the tree still requires going through the patch
process as it did with SVN is just an artefact of our desire to keep
the history of the central repo relatively clean and python-checkins
at least somewhat readable.

It's also possible that we should be encouraging greater use of
Mercurial Queues [1] and making them an official part of our
development process. After all, their stated purpose is to allow
changes to be developed incrementally, but only landed in the official
history as a single consolidated changeset. Since that's the behaviour
we want, we should probably consider using the tool that is designed
to provide it.

[1] http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqExtension

Cheers,
Nick.