[python-committers] Use hg commit --user?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sun Mar 6 23:24:19 CET 2011

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:42:27 -0500, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> OK. As far as I am concerned, adding code to the repository that is
> not covered by a contributor agreement is a recipe for disaster, and I
> would like to hear what other committers think. I'm not sure how or
> when the committers list was dropped from our conversation, but I hope
> you don't mind me adding it back for that purpose.

When we've had these discussions before, it was basically left up to
our judgement what constituted "enough code" to make worrying about a
contributor agreement necessary.  Certainly it does not seem that bug
fix commits of a few changed lines or even tens of changed lines is worth
worrying about:  how can fixing our own code incorporate someone else's
copyrighted work?  I think you'd be hard pressed to get such a claim
by a judge.  (Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm probably wrong.)

Bigger chunks, especially features, yes.  Perhaps we have not been as
good about checking on agreements in those cases as we should have been.
Anyone care to review the last N changesets to find out?

Has any progress been made on an electronically signable agreement
and/or adding "posting a patch to this tracker means you have the right
to contribute it and you do contribute it" language to the tracker?

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com