[python-committers] [PSF-Members] [Fwd: Re: Push rights for Ross Lagerwall]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 9 14:45:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
>> > I don't care and don't want to argue (I insist about this) about
>> > religions, be it christianism or intellectual property.
>> > If you think a legal rule is needed, please just *ensure it doesn't get
>> > in the way*. That's your job as a self-proclaimed "protector of IP
>> > rights", not mine.
>> >
>> As I have already pointed out in this thread, the PSF is not a
>> "self-proclaimed" anything. It was established by Guido precisely to
>> ensure that the IP was unencumbered. So Guido clearly thinks the rule
>> is needed.
>
> I would like to hear Guido's opinion today about this. Python's
> development is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and the world has
> changed too.

If anything, we need the forms more than 10 years ago. BUT unlike then
it's acceptable to fill out a web form.

>> I think Jesse has pointed us to some very satisfactory potential
>> solutions. I also think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
>
> The reason I am making a mountain out of a slightly oversized molehill
> is that otherwise it seems people here don't care to solve the issue,
> and instead keep patronizing about how the current process is fine
> (which it is!... as long as it isn't actually applied...).
>
>> Electronic forms are easier to deal with, but I seriously doubt their
>> absence has lost as much development effort as the total collective
>> developer time already expended on this thread :-)
>
> Well, I agree that not so much development effort has been lost because
> of us checking contributor agreements, but I think there's a reason, and
> you might not like it.

TBH I don't think that the implementation of the web form ought to be
the PSF directors' job. However approval of this change in process and
of the exact legal text that people agree to on the web form is. One
of the developers or some other volunteer can do the implementation --
just don't make it live until the PSF's lawyer has approved the text.
(Though if it was me I'd just copy the Google forms, scratch out
Google, and write in Python in crayon.) Please do record which version
of the form is agreed to.

As a temporary solution for new contributors, if you trust them, give
them their permissions and ask them to fill the paperwork later (soon,
but not as a condition for the permissions).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)