[python-committers] PyCon Language Summit: Wednesday 9th April

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 4 20:47:43 CET 2013

On 04.12.2013 20:07, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2013/12/4 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
>> On Dec 04, 2013, at 07:15 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>
>>> As for the question, I think we should wait at least two or three years
>>> before "sunsetting" 2.7.
>>
>> I've been thinking we should move Python 2.7 to security-fix only around the
>> Python 3.5 time frame, with a couple more years of promised security support.
>
> FWIW, the current plan is to have the last normal release in 2015 and
> security releases "indefinitely" (2020 or something like that).

Just as data point: we have customers that still request Python 2.4
compatible versions of our products - simply because they cannot
upgrade. The last release of that series was in 2008.

I think that a lot more Python 2 users will be in that situation
in a few years when hitting the Python 2->3 road block - even if
the underlying software may support Python 3 in the near future,
they may not be able to or have the resources to port their
customizations to Python 3.

The "indefinitely" sounds like a good plan if we want to have
those users stick with us.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 04 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/