[python-committers] PyCon Language Summit: Wednesday 9th April

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 4 21:47:40 CET 2013

On 04.12.2013 21:28, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>> around the
>> support.
>>>
>>> FWIW, the current plan is to have the last normal release in 2015 and
>>> security releases "indefinitely" (2020 or something like that).
>>
>> Just as data point: we have customers that still request Python 2.4
>> compatible versions of our products - simply because they cannot
>> upgrade. The last release of that series was in 2008.
>>

> I was always curious about these "cannot upgrade" cases. Most of the time,
> they seem to boil down to "because that's the default Python our RHEL comes
> with", completely ignoring the possiblity of just building a newer Python
> locally and/or carrying along with the product.
>
> Can you clarify on some specific interesting cases you ran into?

One example is users stuck on e.g. Zope 2.10 or Plone 3.3 (or even
earlier). They cannot upgrade because they are using customized
installations and don't have the knowledge or resources to upgrade
the systems to later versions.

Building your own Python installation often isn't a possibility
in corporate setups, e.g. because they are only allowed to run
software for which they have support contracts.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 04 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/