[python-committers] what's going on with Misc/NEWS?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 25 10:40:03 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and it recognizes that users don't really need to look across merge
>> boundaries.
>
> This is tricky though for any patch that is forward-ported to a
> release branch (a la 3.2->3.3).  How can you tell from MISC/News in
> which release (e.g. 3.3.0 or 3.3.1) of that branch the bug was fixed?
> The entry would only show up in MISC/News for the previous release
> (e.g. 3.2.3).
>
> Granted, this would impact much fewer patches than our current pain point does.

Let's take a step back for a moment and define the workflows we want to handle.

1. Feature development

- simplest case
- just edit Misc/NEWS on default

2. Normal 3.x only bug fix

- second simplest case
- exit Misc/NEWS on 3.3
- merge to default
- frequently conflict (due to entries for new features and different
release headers)

OK, I'm going to stop enumerating the cases there, because it already
suggests to me that splitting the *whole* NEWS file entirely by
version is the wrong thing to do. Instead, we really only need to
split the handling for NEWS items that haven't been released yet.

To avoid needing to copy info from other branches between files when
doing a merge, we could instead set up the following:

1. Add a new directory called NEWS.next
2. New NEWS entries go in version specific files in that directory
3. When a new release is made, ALL entries in NEWS.next are added to
the top of the main NEWS file for the relevant (a script to help with
the merging would be a good idea) and the contents of NEWS.next are
cleared.

So, suppose we're about to release 3.4.0a1. In the meantime, we have
accumulated bug fixes for 3.3 and new features and bug fixes that
couldn't be backported for 3.4. (The scheme could be extended to
security branches too, but I'm assuming for the moment those will be
handled via selective backporting rather than the normal forward
porting path)

The 3.3 branch layout would look like this:

    NEWS.next/
        3.3.txt  # Categorised changes
    NEWS  # Existing partial entry for 3.3.x

The default branch layout would look like this:

    NEWS.next/
        3.3.txt  # Forward ported categorised changes
        3.4.txt  # Categorised changes
   NEWS  # Existing partial entry for 3.4.0a1

Any changes that were specific to 3.3 would be listed in
NEWS.next/3.3.txt on that branch, but not on the default branch (since
the associated null-merge would have skipped adding them)

Now, we go to create 3.4.0a1. This will involve transferring *all* the
NEWS.next entries on default into the main NEWS file and clearing the
files in NEWS.next.

    NEWS.next/
        3.3.txt  # Empty file
        3.4.txt  # Empty file
   NEWS  # Complete entry for 3.4.0

The part I'm not clear on is whether we'd then start getting conflicts
when forwarding merging changes to NEWS.next/3.3.txt from the 3.3
branch, or if Mercurial would be smart enough to cope with the
deletion for the file contents and not try to add them back in. If it
can't cope, then it would be possible to do the following on 3.3 when
creating the initial 3.4.0a1 release:

    NEWS.next/
        3.3.txt  # Empty file
   NEWS  # Longer partial entry for 3.3.x

We then continuing accumulating NEWS.next entries in parallel during
the 3.4 alpha and beta cycle, moving the entries into the appropriate
NEWS files as releases are made.

The other advantage of this is that it's an approach we can adopt
*today*, so long as we acknowledge we'll need the tooling to merge the
NEWS entries and clear NEWS.next before we can next do a release for
3.3 and 3.4, and Georg and Larry are happy with that notion.

Cheers,
Nick.