[python-committers] New mailing list for workflow/workflow infrastructure discussion/tasks

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:36:06 CEST 2014

On 16 Apr 2014 21:07, "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:02:31 -0400, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> > On 4/16/2014 4:49 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
> > > Apologies for the cross post, but I want to make sure committers who
> > > aren't reading python-dev for one reason or another see this:
> > >
> > > Based on a number of conversations at PyCon, we've created a new
mailing list:

> > Will it be a public list, accessible via gmane, or subcription-only?
>
> Public.  Ned has already submitted a request to get it added to gmane.

Note that the reason for the new list is that we expect it to be a home for
lots of nitty gritty details related to getting the various tools to play
nicely together, and expect most folks will find that uninteresting. With a
new list, python-dev and python-committers threads can focus on planned
large scale user experience changes, leaving minor tweaks and mechanics for
the new list. Similarly, the existing infrastructure list can focus more on
general hosting and sustainability issues, rather than the specifics of the
workflow tools.

The other advantage is that at least one of the Mercurial devs is planning
to join the new list to help us work out improved Mercurial usage
guidelines for both external contributors and core developers. Our current
recommendations are still largely based on Mercurial as it existed at the
time of the transition from svn, and things have moved on significantly
since then.

The final thing the new list will hopefully provide is a better way for
folks to contribute when they would like to help with core development, but
find software lifecycles measured in years and decades unbearably slow, and
aren't particularly excited by the idea of working on the documentation.

Cheers,
Nick.