[python-committers] clinic churn after beta2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 8 16:01:00 CET 2014

On Jan 08, 2014, at 05:39 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>I suspect a 6 month cycle would confuse users and inconvenience
>redistributors, but a 12—17 month cycle so 3.5 is published before 2.7
>enters security fix only mode would make a *lot* of sense.

18 months is already the typical development cycle for new versions of Python,
so it would have to be markedly shorter than that.  6-9 months seems about
right, and if we adopted that *and* tightly focused new features in 3.5 to
those that making porting from Python 2 easier, then I could see that as a
reasonable alternative, especially given the realities of the baked-in time
constraints for 3.4.

Adding another beta for clinic churn seems entirely reasonable.

So, let's put "Goals for 3.5" on the agenda for the Language Summit.

-Barry