[python-committers] Some topics I have suggested for the language summit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:59:56 CET 2014

On 13 January 2014 23:38, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2014, at 15:47, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Working across multiple projects has highlighted for me lately how much unnecessary overhead we're currently dealing with in core development, and how ineffective we are at delegating responsibility for parts of the docs that aren't tied directly to the standard library and interpreter implementation.
>>
>> In particular, the "core reviewer" model in OpenStack makes substantially more effective use of core developer time than our core committer model - if I say a change looks good, it merges cleanly and passes the tests, why do I need to do the last step manually? (While I don't work on OpenStack, I work on QA tools for Red Hat. I'm considering deploying Zuul in particular, since it's at the heart of being able to adopt a core reviewer model).
>>
>> The other part is that I've suggested we invite the PSF's Outreach & Education committee to the summit. There are some things we're currently trying to run entirely from within the existing core dev team (like maintenance of the tutorial and the howto guides) where that may not be the most sensible model.
>
> How many people are the Outreach and Education committee? We could cope with another 5-10 people attending. If the committee is less than 20 then we're probably fine inviting them as I doubt all will be able to attend.

To be honest, I don't actually know. However, I was actually thinking
in terms of asking them to send a few interested representatives,
rather than necessarily having them all attend.

Assuming http://www.python.org/psf/committees/#outreach-education-committee-orec
is reasonably up to date, I expect they could come up with a few
volunteers that are going to be in Montreal on the day of the summit
and can spare the time to come chat with us about ways we could work
better together :)

Cheers,
Nick.