[python-committers] Updated schedule for Python 3.4

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 00:57:29 CET 2014

On 17 Jan 2014 03:25, "Serhiy Storchaka" <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> четвер, 16-січ-2014 15:03:28 Georg Brandl написано:
> > Am 16.01.2014 14:47, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> > > The question is less for us than for occasional contributors who see
> > > their patches or feature requests languish on the tracker, and lose
> > > interest.
> >
> > To be honest, most patches and feature requests languish much longer
than
> > the beta period, because of lack of manpower and/or interest of a core
> > developer.
> >
> > And when a core developer gets interested during the beta period, all
they
> > need to do is post "Nice patch/idea, let's discuss and commit it after
> > feature freeze".  If the contributor is put off by that, well.
>
> There are several ready or almost ready patches which did not have time to
> jump on the train. E.g. C implementation of lru_cache or Kristján's nice
> enchancement for HTTPResponse (this is only my fault, I just forgot about
this
> patch).
>
> And some my patches wait for review longer than year.

I think a lot of this delay can be removed by adjusting the tooling to make
more effective use of core developer time. That's why I have a few tooling
discussions on the language summit agenda, primarily the idea of using
RhodeCode to power hg.python.org and figuring out how to integrate Zuul
with Reitveld, RoundUp, BuildBot and Mercurial to attain an OpenStack style
merge gating system where every merge step after a positive review in
Reitveld is fully automated.

Cheers,
Nick.