[python-committers] Status of the Derby, and request for another slip

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Jan 25 14:49:49 CET 2014

On 01/25/2014 05:35 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Stop the Derby. We needn't convert everything for 3.4 (I didn't even
> know that was your goal).

Converting everything was my goal at one point.  At this point it is
nowhere near viable, not the least because there simply isn't enough
time.  As discussed yesterday on python-dev (subject: "Argument Clinic:
what to do with builtins with non-standard signatures?"), and today
(subject: "New policies for the Derby -- please read!"), there are large
numbers of functions in Python 3.4 that have signatures that can't be
expressed by inspect.Signature without semantic changes.  Since we can't
make those changes for 3.4, we can't convert them to Argument Clinic yet.

//arry/