[python-committers] Status of the Derby, and request for another slip

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 14:15:34 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> To be honest I have absolutely no idea what % of files have been converted
> so far.  Figuring it out would use time that would be better spent catching
> up on my to-do list.

Of the 22 Derby issues:
* 2 have been closed: 20133 (audioop) and 20151 (binascci)
* 7 are practically done
* 6 are about half done
* 7 still need most (or all) of the work done

So I'd say that the derby is about half finished, not taking into
account the required changes and improvements to clinic.py and
additional overhead and unexpected problems.

Details on the 20 open Derby issues:

Apparently or nearly completed Derby issues (7):
* 20148: _sre
* 20168: tkinter
* 20172: Windows stuff
* 20173: codecs, md5, sha*
* 20174: socket (+ functools)
* 20178: ctypes, sqlite (+ _curses_cpanel.c)
* 20180: collections, itertools, random, unicode, stringlib (+
xxlimited.c, xxmodule.c, xxsutype.c)

Approximately half completed Derby issues (6):
* 20152: cmath, multibytecodec, array, pyexpat, fcntl, pwd, spwd, grp
* 20159: etree, PC/_msc.c, PC/bdist_wininst/install.c
* 20171: curses (117 sites!)
* 20177: time, datetime
* 20182: select, signal, zlib, sys (+ _hashopenssl.c)
* 20185: type, long, list, float, resource, thread, bz2, bisect,
marshal, exceptions, nis, gc, warnings, crypt

Derby issues not started or barely started (7):
* 20170: posix (137 sites!)
* 20175: io (+ multiprocessing)
* 20179: ssl, overlapped (+ bytesobject.c, bytes_methods.c)
* 20181: bytearray, parser, unicodedata, readline
* 20183: mmap, locale, zipimport, ossaudiodev, _testbuffer.c, struct
* 20184: bltinmodule, faulthandler, pickle, lzma, termios, syslog,
dbm, gdbm, json
* 20186: tuple, memory, descr, complex, operator, opcode, lsprof,
heapq, weakref, struct, range, object,
         modules, func, file, enum, code, bool, symtable, math,
_tracemalloc.c, io, csv

> Please vote for either "continue the Derby" (which also means slipping the
> schedule and adding a fourth beta) or "stop the Derby".

Having worked intensively on the Derby for over a week, I feel an urge
to see it through soon. The least we could do is to stop adding
features to clinic.py, only fixing bugs; convert everything that is
possible to convert now and mark everything else appropriately; and
leave tying up the loose ends for 3.5.

However, I'm not a "core dev" and can certainly see the problem with
pushing back the release date again, with significant uncertainty
whether even that will be enough time. Therefore, I'm not voting.

I can, however, promise to convert a great deal more code in the next
two weeks if it is decided to push the release.

- Tal