[python-committers] PEP 462: Workflow automation for CPython

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 26 23:35:45 CET 2014

I suggest that we start with automating doc-only patches.

1. The need is great. The backlog of Documentation patches is nearly
700. I am sure that the high overhead per patch has something to do with
this. (I suspect I would do more if allowed to fix multiple issues in
one patch, to spread the overhead.) It has been written somewhere that
there is a set of doc maintainers that will turn suggestions into
patches, if necessary, and apply them. On a day-to-day basis, that set
seems to be empty now.

2. A doc patch queue seems slightly easier. Rietveld integration would
not have to be part of the first cut. It should also be less impactful.
It would not need exclusive access to the repository except for a short
period each day (pick the least used hour of the day). On startup, the
system could post a message to this list "Auto doc patching started.
Repository closed." A 'repository open' message would follow when done.
At other times, patches could be pre-tested on a clone and only passing
patches queued for a final test and push.

Terry