[python-committers] Would anyone STOP contributing to Python if we used GitHub?

Neil Schemenauer nas-python at arctrix.com
Tue Dec 15 15:49:23 EST 2015

On 2015-12-15, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:
> > Also realize that anyone who says they will walk away will be held to
> > their word; if we still choose to switch to GitHub I will expect you to
> > no longer contribute to Python and will personally hold you to your word
>
> seems a little strong. Even principled people can change their minds about
> things, can't they? To me, this does come across like an ultimatum (Stefan's
> word) or a threat (your word)

I agree this is too strong.  If people don't want to use GitHub,
they can clone from a different repos, maybe PSF can even provide
one.  Patches can be sent using the 'git am' command.  I don't see
why not using GitHub means you can't contribute to Python.  We would
be rejecting valuable contributions for no good reason.

You could say something like "you will not get commit access through
GitHub".  I.e. you will have to get someone else to commit or pull
your changes.

Regards,

  Neil