[python-committers] How shall we conduct the Python 3.5 beta and rc periods? (Please vote!)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue May 12 19:04:39 CEST 2015

Python 3.5 beta 1 is coming up soon.  After beta is rc; after rc is
3.5.0 final.  During the beta and rc periods the Python developer
workflow changes a little--what sorts of checkins are permissible, and
how to get something accepted and merged generally becomes more complicated.

I was the release manager for Python 3.4, and the way I ran the rc
period for 3.4 was miserable.  Everyone hated it--and that includes me.
I'm absolutely not doing it that way for 3.5.  But that leads one to the
question: okay, how *am* I going to run it?  I have three ideas for
workflows for the beta and rc periods for 3.5, below.  But first let's
talk about what I/we hope to achieve.

Traditionally during the beta and rc periods, development of new
features stops completely.   Obviously, after feature freeze no new
features can go into the beta / rc releases.  But why can't people
develop new features for the *next* release?  The reason given is that
we're trying to guide the core dev community in the right
direction--they should concentrate on fixing bugs in the new release.  I
suspect the real reason for this is that back in the bad old days of
Subversion (and CVS!) branching and merging were painful.  This social
engineering policy is a justification after-the-fact.

But Mercurial makes branching and merging nearly effortless. Mercurial
also makes it painless to develop new features in private.  So consider:
anyone who wants to work on new features during beta and rc can easily
do so.  All our "no new features during beta and rc" policy really does
is drive such development away out of public view.

I think it's time we experimented with lifting that policy.  The trick
is finding a good place for us to check in the work.  You see, during
the 3.5 rc period, we arguably want to accept checkins for *three*
different revisions:

    3.5.0
    3.5.1
    3.6

3.5.1?  Yep.  During the rc period for 3.4--and particularly after the
last rc was tagged--there were a lot of minor fixes that were desirable,
but I didn't want to accept into 3.4 just to avoid destabilizing the
release.  I still wanted those checkins, I just didn't want them in
3.4.0.  So the way it worked was, developers would check those bugfixes
in to trunk, then I'd cherry-pick the revisions I wanted into the rc
branch.  In other words, during the rc period for 3.4, trunk effectively
represented 3.4.1.  This was valuable and I absolutely want to do it again.

So here are the workflows.  Workflow 0 most resembles what we've done in
the past.  Workflow 1 is my favorite and the most ambitious.  All three
give us a public place to put revisions for 3.5.0 and 3.5.1; Workflow 1
also gives us a place to check in work for 3.6 during the beta and rc
periods for 3.5.  Workflow 2 is a less ambitious compromise.

Workflow 0
==========

When I ship beta 1, trunk remains 3.5.

When I ship rc 1, trunk becomes 3.5.1.  I create a publically visible
read-only repo that represents 3.5.0, and any checkins that I want to
accept into 3.5.0 I must manually cherry-pick from trunk.

When I ship Python 3.5.0 final, we branch 3.5, and trunk becomes 3.6.

Workflow 1
==========

When I ship beta 1, we create the 3.5 branch.  trunk become 3.6.

When I ship rc 1, the 3.5 branch becomes 3.5.1.  I maintain a publically
visible repo /on bitbucket/ for 3.5.0, and we use bitbucket "pull
requests" for cherry-picks from 3.5.1 into 3.5.0.

This gives us a pilot project to try out a web GUI for merging.  It
makes my workflow easier, as I can push a button to accept
cherry-picks.  (If they don't apply cleanly I can tell the author to go
fix the conflict and resubmit it.)  The downside: it requires core devs
to have and use bitbucket accounts.

Workflow 2
==========

When I ship beta 1, trunk remains 3.5.

When I ship rc 1, we create the 3.5 branch.  The 3.5 branch is 3.5.0 and
trunk is 3.5.1.  Only blessed stuff gets cherry-picked from 3.5.1 back
into 3.5.0.

What do you think?  My votes are as follows:

    Workflow 0: -0.5
    Workflow 1: +1
    Workflow 2: +0.5

Please cast your votes,