[python-committers] Github accounts (was: formalising retirement as a Python committer)

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Sat Jan 2 09:44:20 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 5:46 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> So if you are using a free account for company purposes, you'd
> have to get a paid account for personal use to e.g. contribute
> to Python and clearly separate personal contributions from
> ones you make as employee.

In practice, I have seen the following common scenarios.

* Companies and businesses, most often have a paid account with GitHub.
This allows them use Github with the code which is not yet open source or
will never be open source. It is simply using Github.com as an
Infrastructure as a   Service, which many companies will willingly do. If
it is using this paid account is unsuitable for contributing to open source
projects then a free account could be created by the contributor.

* If the company encourages to use to free account, then I think, the
company realizes that the person may contribute to, not just it's open
source projects, but to other open source projects hosted in Github using
that account and should be open to that.

* A third scenario was mentioned by M.-A. Lemburg, wherein the company uses
free account, but the company or the individual, more likely the latter,
for some reason will not like to use the same account or other project
contribution. In that situation, the choice is to buy a paid account.