[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Tue Mar 1 08:10:44 EST 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:

> Sorry, this is a huge strawman. Core developers are already very much on a
> level playing field.

The intent of the CoC isn't just about protecting the current community
members. It's also about making it open and inviting to *new members*. The
core-dev community, despite best efforts, can easily be seen as an "good
old boys club". Making it clear that we don't *intend* for it to be that
way is a good step to make.

> If you want, I can post a IRC log where people who are
> undoubtedly in favor of the CoC a) gossip about two core devs, b) ask if
> said core-devs "had any influence", and c) make fun of the works of said
> core-devs.

All the more reason to point them to the CoC and ask if they would be more
considerate.

> Some of these people have impeccable manners on mailing lists, and not
> addressing Machiavellianism is one of the most glaring flaws of this CoC.

It's proven quite hard to draft a CoC -- or any document -- that everyone
agrees to *and* covers everything everyone wants. I wish it were more
explicit about certain things, and more condemning, but I'm glad to have it
to refer to anyway. (I frequently refer to it on #python on Freenode.)

> I'm quite upset about you bringing in "kicking downward" (even if qualified
> by a smiley).

It was not meant as a personal attack, merely a reaction to what I
perceived as you making light of the idea of a CoC. I see that I was
mistaken, so I'm sorry.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

Hi! I'm an email virus! Think twice before sending your email to help me
spread!