[python-committers] Call For Participants For The 2016 Python Language Summit

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Thu Mar 3 05:54:30 EST 2016

On 2016-03-03 08:45, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 2 March 2016 at 11:01, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> It's that time once again: time to start planning for the 2016 Python
>> Language Summit!
>
> Huzzah, thanks for organising this again!
>
> I've forwarded the email to a few folks to suggest they submit
> presentation proposals, but I also have a question for everyone else:
> would folks be interested in a summary of the SSL/TLS handling
> developments over the past couple of years and open issues (aka
> "things that are still hard that we would prefer were simpler") we
> could potentially help with in core dev?

Thanks! TLS/SSL is already covered. :) I have invited Cory Benfield
(python-requests, urllib3, hyper). Cory and I are co-chairing a
presentation about the future of TLS/SSL in Python core and Python
ecosystem together. Let's hope 20 minutes are enough.

I have also proposed a short recap of Python Security, PSRT and Coverity
Scan activity in the past year. I also like to address communications of
security fixes. From the bug tracker it is not immediately visible,
which Python releases contains a fix. The changelog doesn't highlight
security fixes, too. This allowed one nasty bug to fly under the radar
and caused a downstream $VENDOR to not backport a fix. I'd like to have
security issues marked in the changelog, e.g. with "[S]" or "[SECURITY]"
prefix/suffix.

Christian