[python-committers] Call For Participants For The 2016 Python Language Summit

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Mar 3 09:30:44 EST 2016

Le 03/03/2016 13:40, Nick Coghlan a écrit :

>> I would be nice to discuss how to move to a new C API which doesn't
>> expose implementation details and discuss if libraries will move to it
>> or not. Implementation "details": GIL, reference counting, C
>> structures like PyObject, etc.
>
> Adding cffi (including its dependencies) to the standard library was
> approved-in-principle a couple of years ago, and I believe the one
> technical issue with a lack of support for ahead-of-time compilation
> of the extension module has since been addressed, so as far as I know
> that just needs a champion to actually work through the details of
> getting it added via the PEP process.
>
> I'm also not aware of any explicit documentation of the underlying FFI
> from a C API/ABI perspective, which is what would be needed for tools
> like SWIG and Cython to support it as an alternative to the full
> CPython API.

I don't understand what cffi has to do with the CPython API.  You use
cffi for binding with third-party libraries.  C code wanting to
interface with CPython will continue to have to use the CPython API.

As for integrating cffi into the stdlib, it seems to be doing fine as a
third-party library.

Regards

Antoine.