[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Mar 4 18:07:00 EST 2016

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 21:31:44 +0000, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> The discussion about the Code of Conduct has sputtered out, so I'm going to
> assume those who care to speak up have at this point. It seems to me that
> the general agreement is that putting python-dev and bugs.python.org under
> the CoC might not solve any real issues we currently have, but it won't
> hurt anything either (and both python-committers and python-ideas are
> already covered). And since the CoC might make some people feel more
> comfortable in participating, that means going ahead and flipping on the
> CoC where we reasonably can.

I guess I have one more thing to say.

Thinking about this, I realized that in fact this emphasis on the CoC is
making me feel less like contributing.  I doesn't feel like a large
effect, but it is real[*].  Just thought you should know :)

--David

[*] I think it is a feeling of annoyance, like I'm being nagged for
no good reason, inclining me to turn my attention away instead of joyfully
engaging.  Talking about how welcoming the Python community is, and how we
can be more so, engenders joy.  Talking about codes of conduct engenders
annoyance.  Regardless of the reality, it *feels* like the bureaucrats
have moved in and are squashing the native aliveness of the community.