[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 4 18:40:56 EST 2016

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 at 14:04 M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> Brett,
>
> I don't think that spamming all MLs, Github accounts, etc.
> with CoC notices will help anyone.

Which is not what I'm suggesting nor would I want to do unless it's a
stated change in policy so people feel properly notified.

> You may not be aware, but all PSF infrastructure is covered by
> the PSF CoC already, and has been for quite a while:
>
> """
>      RESOLVED, that the Python Software Foundation shall manage and curate
> the Foundation's public
> and member-accessible web properties to remove spam, serve the membership,
> and conform to the the
> Python Community Code of Conduct.
>
> Approved 9-0-0 by IRC vote, 3 January, 2014.
> """

That's great, but how are people to know this if they don't read the
minutes of the board? Is it considered too much if I link to the minutes in
the devguide so people know about this (
https://www.python.org/psf/records/board/minutes/2014-01-06/#management-of-the-psfs-web-properties
)?

> All PSF members have acknowledged this and adding yet another
> notice to each and every point of interaction will not make
> things better.

I'm not worried about PSF members, it's all the new folk who are just
"walking off the street" and are looking to contribute.

> If there are issues, point people to the CoC. Otherwise, let's
> not get all tangled up in CoC links everywhere :-)

Fair enough, but I would like at least one canonical location to link to
that bit of the minutes so that it's somewhere a bit more public. Is a link
in the devguide considered acceptable?

-Brett