[python-committers] CFFI is slow (was: Re: Redoing the C API?)

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Mar 5 03:42:14 EST 2016

Larry Hastings <larry <at> hastings.org> writes:
>     If we could wave a magic wand and get all extension authors to
>     switch to writing their extensions in Python and using cffi, we
>     should absolutely do it.

CFFI is slow. This would effectively kill one of the strongholds of CPython.
IMO CPython's C-API is the best out there and a large part of Python's success.

We're talking about a slowdown of at least an order of magnitude here:

  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-December/130772.html

I think people who don't need the C-API can use PyPy.

Stefan Krah