[python-committers] The state of our copies of libffi (was: Redoing the C API?)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Mar 28 06:12:48 EDT 2016

> On 03 Mar 2016, at 21:58, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Modules/_ctypes/libffi_osx: This is a "lightly patched" copy from
> somewhere before libffi-2.0, probably.  It has barely been touched
> since 2009.  I've been given to understand that it has modifications
> necessary to allow building fat binaries on OSX (Ned or Ronald would
> know better than I), but I don't know if such modifications may have
> made it upstream since pre-2.0.  This one is used for all OSX builds
> that don't use `--with-system-ffi`.

libffi_osx is a copy of the variant of libffi used by PyObjC, which was forked from libffi a long while ago (at the latest around the time OSX started supporting Intel processors, and probably earlier).

I don’t know if upstream libffi is good enough these days, this fork not only contains patches to make it easier to build fat binaries, but also contains a number of bug fixes that weren’t upstream at the time (mostly needed to support Apple’s interpretation of the x86_64 calling conventions in clang).

Ronald