[python-committers] 3.6 branch now open only for 3.6.0 release critical fixes and doc updates!

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:57:26 EST 2016

Hi,

> OK, all of the release engineering for 3.6.0b4 is complete.  The 3.6 branch in the cpython repo is now available again but, as noted, *only* for reviewed release critical fixes appropriate for the 3.6.0 final and for final 3.6.0 doc updates!

Sorry, I pushed changes before reading your email(s). I expected that
release critical changes would have to be pushed to a different
repository using cherry-pick or something else.

To be clear: Python 3.5 will be frozen as well? Pushing to 3.5
requires to merge into 3.6 (and then merge into default).

Four changes have been pushed after the tag:

(*) https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/4f6fb9e47f6b
Issue #28023: Fix python-gdb.py didn't support new dict implementation [#28023]

I reviewed Naoki's patch and it LGTM. python-gdb.py was simply 100%
broken without this fix, and I consider that this tool is important
for Python (but I didn't understood correctly the RC rules, sorry)! By
the way, I also broke python-gdb.py with fast calls! I started to work
on a fix, http://bugs.python.org/issue28770

(*) https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/9b974f988c95
Issue #28023: Fix python-gdb.py on old GDB versions

... My fix for the previous commit. Sadly, it's hard to test on all
GDB versions, but buildbots are here for that :-)

(*) https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/6b43d15fd2d7
Issue #28727: Fix typo in pattern_richcompare()

Obvious bugfix spotted by Serhiy.

(*) https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/c2cb70c97163
Issue #28727: Optimize pattern_richcompare() for a==a

This one is a minor optimization suggested by Serhiy.

Should I revert these changes? Or can someone please review them one more time?

Victor