[python-committers] Statistics: growth of core dev number vs growth of the code size/complexity

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Wed Dec 6 18:52:42 EST 2017

Le 07/12/2017 à 00:17, Victor Stinner a écrit :

> Maybe we have a problem with mentoring. Maybe the CPython code base
> became too hard to train newcomers? Maybe we are too conservative? I
> don't know.

The language moved at a faster pace back then (especially with Python
3), which made it easier to find ways to contribute without getting into
boring or overly tedious topics.

Also, I think its image is simply changing.  10 years ago, Python still
stood out as something cool and a bit special.  Now it's regarded as
established and mature, and it certainly changes its attractivity among
the kind of people who are keen to do volunteer contributions to free /
open source software.

Can this be reversed? I don't know.

Regards

Antoine.