[python-committers] Requirements to get the "bug triage" permission?

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 22:36:41 EST 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> A contributor without the triage priviledge cannot triage bugs...

I don't see this as a big problem. There are many ways to do issue
triaging (you need to follow python-checkins, know how to use tools
like 'git blame' etc.) so I don't think it's possible document every
single step in the devguide. The best way to learn how to triage an
issue is to follow core developers closely. That's what I did when I
was a contributor.

Giving people an 'award' early may risk introducing unnecessary noise
on tracker. I understand that it's not end of the world, but note that
every wrong action needs to be reverted by another volunteer. I'd
prefer having less triagers if we are going to end up with messages
like:

* This issue is open for N years so I think it can be closed (Age of
an issue is not important)
* This issue appears to be fixed. Closing. (They didn't explain why
they think it's fixed. They have to find the commit that fixed the
issue or upload a simple script that shows the issue is fixed or use
an existing script to show that it's fixed)

--Berker