[python-committers] Official python-dev docker images

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Thu Dec 7 19:00:16 EST 2017

On 2017-12-07 22:28, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> That’s good feedback!  I want to be clear about the purpose of this image, both in that it’s blessed and maintained by us, and that its focus is on the Python library and application developer (primarily for testing purposes).
>
> So maybe: Python.Org Official Multiversion Development Docker Image Doubleplus Good!

Why is there 'Docker' in the name? Is the container image restricted to
Docker runtime or can I use it with lxc, systemd-nspawn, rkt, or any
other container runtime, too?

There are likely legal issues with the name, too. After all 'Docker' is
a registered trademark of Docker, Inc [1]. I'd be careful and call it
'Python.Org Official Multiversion Development Supercalifragilistic
Container Image' instead.

Christian

[1] https://www.docker.com/brand-guidelines