[python-committers] Official python-dev docker images

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 7 22:14:14 EST 2017

On Dec 7, 2017, at 19:34, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:

> Shiny! You'll get extra bonus points for not running as root. :)

Don’t forget, there’s a bug tracker you can submit requests to. <wink>

> I'm curious, what is the reason of compiling CPython yourself? Ubuntu
> has the deadsnakes project. Fedora has packages for Python 3.3, 3.4, and
> 3.5.

I really want clean builds of upstream tarball releases.  Debian/Ubuntu for sure, and I would bet Fedora too, has downstream deltas applied, so if something fails there, how do you know it’s because of your package or something the distro added?  Note that we do install the build dependencies for the Pythons so they’ll link against platform libraries and such.

> Could I convince you to put some builds of OpenSSL and LibreSSL into the
> container, too?

You can totally file an issue so we can discuss it. :)

https://gitlab.com/python-devs/ci-images/issues

Cheers,
-Barry