[python-committers] New workflow - some questions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 09:13:07 EDT 2017

On 29 July 2017 at 18:40, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 July 2017 at 23:30, Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 1. Section 32.2 in the Git bootcamp section - is there any reason to
>>> use git at github URLs for the clones? I normally always use
>>> https://github.com URLs, as they work with my proxy at work.
>>

>> I don't have any explanation other than Git bootcamp was initially written
>> based on my personal setup.
>> I cloned CPython using SSH, and that's what I wrote in the devguide :)
>> You can use HTTPS if that works for you.
>> Perhaps someone else can explain better the difference between cloning via
>> HTTPS and SSH.
>
> Thanks for the clarification - I doubt it matters much whether you use
> https or git in practice. I've found https better for me because it's
> more proxy friendly. I don't really know the differences because I've
> never used git.

To be honest, the read-only=HTTPS & read/write=SSH split is likely a
Linux+macOS-ism, where we can do "ssh-add" once, and then never have
to worry about explicitly authenticating again until we reboot our
client machine. As Inada-san notes, the password prompt when
accidentally doing a direct push to a HTTPS clone then serves as a
reminder that you probably meant to push to a different remote that's
set up for read/write access over SSH.

There's no functional difference on the server side though - it's
strictly about how the git client authenticates your identity with the
server.

Cheers,
Nick.