[python-committers] 4 weeks with the new workflow: what needs changing?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 10 17:13:14 EST 2017

I can't believe it's been 4 weeks. It feels like it was ages/yesterday when
we moved. :)

First, I hope people are not regretting letting/having me make this
migration. I know there have been some things to work through (and others
still to come), but I hope this is all a net positive (either now or in the
near future).

Second, I wanted to get initial feedback on things we can easily tweak:

   - Requiring Travis to pass (I *really* don't want to turn this off as we
   already had a broken build when I temporarily turned it off at someone's
   request when Travis was backed up from the AWS S3 outage; I also don't plan
   to make AppVeyor required unless there's a way to make it be skipped for
   doc-only changes)
   - Cherry-picking working out? (We can go back to forward merging if
   people really want to, but I think long-term cherry-picking will allow for
   more automation)
      - Along with that, are the labels for cherry-picking working out?
      (Some devs seem to like using title labels like `[3.6]` to flag
      cherry-picks so it's more obvious in emails so I don't know if the labels
      are really that useful)
   - Is the mention bot helpful? (Our config is at
   https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/.mention-bot and the docs
   are at https://github.com/facebook/mention-bot)
   - Anything to tweak about the coverage bot and reports? (Our config is
   at https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/.codecov.yml and docs
   at https://docs.codecov.io/docs/codecov-yaml)

Third, I wanted to point out some of the more critical discussions going on
at https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues. Specifically,
https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/6 is working towards a
solution for Misc/NEWS so if you care about the final solution you should
participate there. After Misc/NEWS is solved the next step becomes solving
the cherry-picking overhead with a more automated approach. We are also
discussing closed branches to make the list of branches more manageable at
https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/31.

Fourth, the lack of messages showing up on bugs.python.org after a commit
is being tracked at http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue613.
I'm sure Ezio and Maciej would appreciate any help people may be able to
volunteer to help in solving the problem.

Fifth, anything I missed? :)