[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:06:18 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Mariatta Wijaya
<mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the responses and concerns.
>
> I do want to keep this discussion open and ongoing, and I still think that we do need a set deadline on things.

I talked to a few core developers recently (at EuroPython and over
messengers) and I had an impression that some of them don't like an
idea of making a decision faster than everybody has a chance to say
their word.  Some of them are shy to publicly object to having strict
deadlines, some probably haven't yet seen this thread, some don't have
time to engage right now. You also see a few -1s in this very thread.
All in all, I really don't understand why we need to hurry here.

> Currently any undecided PEP is stalled, and no one can pronounce on them.

And maybe that's OK for a few months? I don't recall Guido ever
accepting PEPs promptly. :)  Setting strict deadlines really seems
like a last-resort option.

> And we probably won't/can't promote any new core devs until we have new governance.

IIRC we always promoted core devs by popular vote, so I don't think
this would be a problem.  Do we have any candidates that are currently
waiting for us deciding on a governance model?

Yury