[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Aug 2 15:54:38 EDT 2018

Nathaniel, you strike the nail on the head here.

The reason Guido as BDFL and therefore ultimate authority on what “python” is worked because it is organic: it is not set down in strict rules and regulations and timelines and percentages of votes and what not. It works because a very large fraction of the community accepts it. (And I know I’m mixing past and present tense and I’m doing it on purpose:-)

We need to come up with a new governance model, and I think that a rules-and-regulations model is not a model that Python will thrive by. On the contrary, I think it has the danger of moving people into a rules-and-regulations mindset, and therefore lead to all sorts of decisions being viewed in a “political” light, where before they wouldn’t be.

And my worry is that be introducing deadlines and all that in the process there is the danger that we will inexorably move to a strict governance model. I would much prefer a process where we go here/there/everywhere and slowly a consensus builds up.

Jack

Sent from my iPad