[python-committers] Reminder of BDFL succession timeline + CFP

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 2 16:43:00 EDT 2018

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 17:58 Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:29 PM Mariatta Wijaya
> <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
> > Please don't misunderstand my wanting to set up a deadlines and process
> as wanting to rush things.
> Absolutely, I understand, I didn't want to imply that "[name] is
> rushing the process". Sorry if I sounded this way. I do have an
> impression, though, that a large population of core devs is OK with
> deadlines and the other sizable population doesn't understand why we
> need a strict schedule right now.

For me I want to start laying out goals (or at least an initial goal)
because I don't want to procrastinate because this happens to be a hard
problem. I don't think any dates have to quite be all-or-nothing, but I can
also see this dragging on if we don't start to guiding ourselves towards
some resolution at some point.

I'll also mention that I'm looking to keep this moving this forward because
unlike Yury's experience as EuroPython, people have been asking me when
this is going to be resolved, not that we are moving too fast.

> > I'm open to extend the dates, and even wait another year if we need to.
> > Or do folks want to come up with a completely different process than
> what I've proposed?
> >
> > In the end, I just want to know whether we will come to decision before
> 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, .. ?
> IMHO we should tweak the proposal to include just *one date for now*:
> we want everybody interested to post their proposals by October 1st
> (we can shift it + 2 weeks if people are on vacations right now).

I was actually going to email suggesting this but Mariatta beat me to the
subject. :)

For me, I think aiming for October 1st to get the initial proposals in is a
good goal.

If it looks like people need some more time then that's fine and they can
ask for it and we can all agree to extend it, but we first need to (a) get
to October 1, and (b) people actually end up needing more time :) . As of
right now no one has concretely said that October 1 won't work for them
(it's actually October 1 specifically because Victor asked for that date so
he could make a proposal due to his vacation in August). So for me, going
forward with the goal of October 1 for people proposing governance models
seems reasonable and we can re-assess as we get closer to that date.

> The discussion will inevitably start as soon as we have a couple
> proposals on the table.  Some proposals will be withdrawn, some will
> require tweaks, people also might come up with new proposals.  We can
> then decide what our next steps (and deadlines!) considering what will
> be the outcome of these first debates.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/attachments/20180802/1ba76f94/attachment.html>

More information about the python-committers mailing list