[python-committers] List of all core developers

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 2 17:25:58 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 at 04:54 Stefan Richthofer <stefan.richthofer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Again, this was in the (poorly conveyed) context of getting email
>> addresses for them, or at least being able to contact them.
>>

> I always thought there were already at least three places containing the
> necessary email addresses.
>
> * python-committers should be exactly this mailing list.

The list also has email archiving services as well as duplicate emails for
people (e.g. I'm in it twice so that if I accidentally send an email from a
personal email address it doesn't get held up in moderation).

> * according to https://devguide.python.org/coredev/#issue-tracker it is
> mandatory for core developers to subscribe to the issue tracker which AFAIK
> requires a confirmed email address.

* Every committer clearly must have signed the contributor agreement
> https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/ which also contains a
> mandatory email field
>
> So why is it still necessary to get email addresses at all?

Because none of those necessarily have accurate email addresses at this
point. E.g. even python-committers has had people dropped off due to too
many email rejections. And if we hold a vote for a governance model we will
need a place to send ballots.

Now if the vote is open to any core developer (using MAL's definition of it
being a lifetime title), then the subscription list for this mailing list
is probably good enough with some manual grooming as long we are okay with
long-dormant folk who predate this list not voting (which I'm personally
fine with). But if we wanted a way to reach just people with commit
privileges then that's a separate challenge.

-Brett