[python-committers] Transfer of power

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 12 13:55:24 EDT 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 at 10:42 Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:55 AM Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you, Guido.  This is a sad day for me personally; I really hoped
> > you'd lead Python for a few more years.  On the other hand, Python is
> > in good hands, you've built a large enough and diverse community
> > around it!
>
> +1
>
> Thank you for putting so much time, effort, and care into both the
> language and its community!  We cannot thank you enough.
>
> > As for the new governing model, I imagine that we don't need to make
> > any decisions *right now*.  As Victor suggested, core devs can simply
> > count +1/-1 on any language feature and we'll see how it goes.  Or
> > maybe the first such vote should be on the new governing model? :)  I
> > really hope that we won't have an excruciating debate on the mailing
> > list about the governing model though; maybe we can discuss it on the
> > upcoming core dev sprint.
>
> In the short term we could appoint a *temporary* triumvirate to fill
> in as BDFL (with the intent to re-assess the situation in September if
> we haven't resolved on a permanent solution by then).  That would
> allow us to maintain business-as-usual (and try out a triumvirate).
> If we go that route then I'd recommend Brett, Nick, and Barry.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

One other idea if we go the BDFL or triumvirate route is we could ask Guido
to choose (if he's willing). I think Guido's key point is he wants us to
choose how we want to keep this team going, but that may not preclude us to
essentially naming him BDFL-delegate in this instance. :)