[python-committers] Transfer of power

Carol Willing willingc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:18:27 EDT 2018

> On Jul 12, 2018, at 11:53 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org <mailto:barry at python.org>> wrote:
>
> On Jul 12, 2018, at 07:57, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org <mailto:guido at python.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process. I'll still be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be available to mentor people -- possibly more available. But I'm basically giving myself a permanent vacation from being BDFL, and you all will be on your own.
>
> Leaving my emotions out of it for now, and with my heartfelt gratitude for everything you’ve done, I am absolutely certain that the community you’ve built is strong enough to carry on.

Well said, Barry.

> That said, I think a triumvirate would work (Guido’s Unworthy Inherited Delegation Organization).

We'll likely all be asking ourselves often "What would Guido think/do in situation x, y, or z?"

> There’s no rush to decide, and this would make for a fine discussion at the core sprint in September.

Tim's reference to Stroustrup's article and the article's cautions are spot on.

I agree with Barry there's no rush to decide. Taking our time to absorb the news and giving Guido the space to recharge and pursue things that rock his world (Python and beyond) would be two actions that we can take right now.

Thank you Guido for everything. Wishing you all that you wish for us: https://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2016/04/kings-day-speech.html <https://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2016/04/kings-day-speech.html>

Warmly,

Carol